Government Relations Specialist
HR, Corporate Communications & Administrative Support
Supports Public Affairs and Government Relations staff in the lobbying, industry relations, and grassroots advocacy activities of CoBank’s Washington D.C. office. Represents CoBank externally in Washington D.C. as appropriate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary responsibility for all administrative requirements related to CoBank Board Hill Fly-In and Farm Credit ACA communications on public policy issues.
- Supports CoBank’s participation in the Farm Credit Council’s public policy position-setting process.
- Assists with preparation of briefing books and other materials, including updates of CoBank national and state ‘customer maps’ for use by management, CoBank directors and CoBank’s ACA representatives.
- Arranges Hill visits. Assists with hotel space, meeting rooms, and other meeting logistics.
- Coordinates CoBank’s Ambassador Program – including development of monthly communication and all aspects of fall trip.
- Supports efforts by CoBank’s affiliated ACAs to keep abreast of important policy developments.
- Tracks relevant legislation and regulatory developments.
- Organizes PAC fundraisers sponsored by CoBank.
- Coordinates with CoBank Denver staff on logistics related to PAC solicitations.
- Maintains industry association and agency contact list in electronic form.
- Assists in developing Congressional ‘action alerts.’
- Coordinates with CoBank-Denver and Farm Credit PAC on check requests and other administrative approvals.
- Performs some minor administrative tasks, including office bill processing.
- Participates in special projects, and performs other duties as assigned
- Works closely with Corporate Communications Office.
- Availability for occasional work outside normal business hours.
- Availability for occasional travel
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in public policy, government relations and/or regulatory affairs.
- Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of CoBank staff, customers, government and industry contacts.
- Familiarity with the agriculture or financial services industry and an understanding of the Farm Credit System preferred.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
CoBank stands strong as a $125 billion enterprise dedicated to the financial needs of agriculture and rural communities. That means we help fund new ways to grow food, generate energy, access technology, and otherwise improve life in America. When you choose a career with us, you make a difference by standing for something that matters. A career at CoBank can offer you the opportunity to make a personal impact on the people and communities where we do business. We also provide competitive compensation, health and wellness benefits, company-funded retirement plan, matching 401(k), and professional development programs.
CoBank will not sponsor a work visa (e.g. H1B, etc.) to fill this position.
CoBank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
STAND FOR SOMETHING. JOIN US.