Manager, Legal Operations
Legal & Risk
Supports Legal leadership and executives in the development and implementation of a Legal Operations function at CoBank to oversee the effective and efficient operations of the Legal Group. Provides leadership, management, and technical expertise to the Legal Operations function. Responsible for management of outside counsel and other vendor relationships, strategy and budget planning and development, and Legal knowledge management tools and content. Accountable for the ownership of Legal technology systems, and the development of analytics and reporting of key performance metrics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel in the development of the Legal Group’s annual budget. Coordinates headcount planning, and oversees budget and expense monitoring.
- Supports the Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel in the development of the Legal Group’s annual business plan. Coordinates periodic reporting and updates.
- Reviews and manages the Legal Group’s various processes and practices, and ensures alignment with group and bank strategic goals. Responsible for assisting in the development, organization, and maintenance of multi-functional processes including, but not limited to, those supporting outside legal counsel, board relations, and general legal operations business.
- Identifies and executes on opportunities for process implementation, enhancement and improvement to increase the Legal Group’s efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assists the Chief Legal Officer and General Counsel, and other CoBank attorneys, in the negotiation of engagement agreements with law firms, including rates, alternative fee arrangements and requests for proposal (RFPs).
- Provides general management of law firm engagements, and is responsible for the maintenance of outside counsel guidelines.
- Monitors outside counsel efficiency and effectiveness through the use of analytics and benchmarking.
- Develops pricing strategies to reduce outside counsel spend. Reviews invoices, resolves fee issues, and oversees legal billing.
- Manages non-attorney Legal Group vendor relationships.
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance and continuous improvement of Legal Group technology systems, including legal department management platform, board of directors portal, and legal research tools.
- Develops and provides analytics and reports, and self-service dashboards on Legal Group key performance metrics.
- Coordinates and maintains the Legal Group’s knowledge management tools and content, including the legal database, training materials, and shared network folders and content. Manages legal materials storage, and oversees the sharing and use of legal materials and information with bank associates.
- Works with Legal Group attorneys to develop legal training opportunities and processes.
- Coordinates various Legal Group communications between executives and management, associates, and internal and external stakeholders
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline.
- Seven (7) or more years of experience with legal operations, processing, administration, management, or other relevant discipline.
- Management/supervisory experience, ideally in a legal operations role, preferred.
- Proven experience in legal operations and technology, including legal department management, e-billing.
- Experience with law firm relations, including pricing and billing practices, and legal and alternative fee arrangements.
- Experience with process improvement disciplines, such as Lean, Six Sigma and Lean Six Sigma.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to influence stakeholders (both internal and external).
- Strong customer focus and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated initiative and experience with problem solving.
- Proven organizational, time management and multitasking/prioritization skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of management staff.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, Word and Excel) and applicable business software applications, including databases, queries and reporting.
CoBank stands strong as a $125 billion enterprise dedicated to the financial needs of agriculture and rural communities. That means we help fund new ways to grow food, generate energy, access technology, and otherwise improve life in America. When you choose a career with us, you make a difference by standing for something that matters. A career at CoBank can offer you the opportunity to make a personal impact on the people and communities where we do business. We also provide competitive compensation, health and wellness benefits, company-funded retirement plan, matching 401(k), and professional development programs.
CoBank will not sponsor a work visa (e.g. H1B, etc.) to fill this position.
CoBank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
STAND FOR SOMETHING. JOIN US.