Partnerships Are Key for Rural Telecom Operators in Burgeoning Edge Computing Market
October 4, 2022
- Edge computing is distributed information technology architecture where data is stored and/or processed at locations close to where the applications are being used.
- Edge computing has been on the come for several years, but the growth in machine learning and AI technologies are enabling new applications that depend on edge computing.
- The global edge computing market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 37.3% between 2022 and 2031, according to Transparency Market Research.
- The advantage of edge computing is two-fold: cost and latency. New applications need ultra-low latency network performance to operate properly, and it might be cheaper to store and process data in a more decentralized fashion versus in the cloud.
- For rural telecom operators, edge computing offers some new business opportunities. But partnerships will be key – a “build it and they will come” approach is probably not the right strategy.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this report is not intended to be investment, tax, or legal advice and should not be relied upon by recipients for such purposes. The information contained in this report has been compiled from what CoBank regards as reliable sources. However, CoBank does not make any representation or warranty regarding the content, and disclaims any responsibility for the information, materials, third-party opinions, and data included in this report. In no event will CoBank be liable for any decision made or actions taken by any person or persons relying on the information contained in this report.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.