Pay-TV Operators: To Cut or Not to Cut?
October 15, 2019
- Consumer adoption of over-the-top video streaming services, coupled with rising programming costs, have created significant headwinds for traditional pay-TV operators.
- Major technology companies are entering the streaming market with disruptive pricing strategies, putting more pressure on the traditional pay-TV industry.
- Despite the business challenges streaming services create for traditional pay-TV providers, they are a boon for the lucrative broadband industry.
- Deciding to deemphasize or exit the pay-TV business is scary given the potential rise in customer churn. However, our analysis suggests that this risk is fairly low.
- Some rural operators have demonstrated that by offering a white label streaming service, corporate operating margins can expand.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.